One day I just woke up and had a strong desire for a Balenciaga Bag. I don't know where this sudden urge came from but it was rather intense. I visited the Balenciaga website a trillion times trying to decide if I wanted GH( Giant Hardware), Regular Hardware, etc. and what color combination would best suit my needs- Rose gold with taupe, black on black black on gold, black on silver hardware etc. These bags come in so many beautiful color combos it took a while to figure out the perfect bag. I really wanted a cute everyday bag that was chic and had that element of edge and I felt that the Balenciaga City Bag was the perfect bag for that. Here are the specifications of this bag (www.balenciaga.com)
BALENCIAGA Giant 21 Gold City ANTHRACITE
- Gold plated metal hardware • top zip closure • hand stitched handles • removable shoulder strap • front zip pocket • leather framed hand mirror • interior zip pocket with Balenciaga embossed leather tag • made in Italy
- 15" W x 9.5" H x 5.5" D
- Soft vintage crafted lambskin
- Black cotton canvas
- THE REAL : So I went to Neiman Marcus in Chevy Chase to check out the bag in person. I wanted to see if there was a connection between us. Well, it was- and then it disappeared, then it reemerged and then it would go away again... but honestly, (speaking for myself) sometimes when you love fashion your vision becomes jaded and we sometimes make investments on things that are really not worth the money. Now if you are rich- by all means knock yourself out, but I work very hard for the things that I want and it actually matters to me if I am wasting or making a quality investment.
- When I first walked to the Bal section I thought to myself, oh my! these bags look cheap... but who am I? I just love fashion. I am not the Fashion God but IMO the leather was very very thin and it did not look as lustrous or feel as soft as I had imagined. For those of you who are familiar with the purseforum, I did a bit of research and found that a lot of BAL fans noticed quality control issues and a lot of buyers felt the bags were of better quality when they first came out years ago.
- On to the positive- I loved the hardware- especially since it reminds me of thimbles. I love the style and the size of the bag.... but it honestly looked a little cheap to me... YIKERS... I know there are some HARDCORE BAL fans out here... and I am kinda one...but I can't pretend that my observations does not exist, and I can't say with 100% certainty that it is worth the price like other handbags. I think it is really cute, but there are small details that really irritated me about the bag.. i.e the cloth interior, the mirror seemed of poor quality, Peeling leather( I get the distressed element but I think that may have been a quality control issue). Thinness of leather, some stitching imperfections, etc. Other than that I think this bag is gorgeous- most people that have seen this bag have ALL felt like it was a very poor investment.. but...
- ... I want to know what you guys think if you own a Bal Bag, and do you love it for its name sake or do you really believe you purchased a well made, high quality, hand crafted dream???