|Illustration by Henrik Sorensen|
wearing these expensive pieces of joy that extends beyond a depletion of funds in your bank account but wearing designer shoes can be costly, uncomfortable and down right shady towards your overall foot and leg health. I must admit, I have much admiration for the beauty and craftsmanship of designer shoes but the price and comfort level are in an unhappy marriage that I have to live with diurnally.
Let's examine some of the positive characteristics of wearing high heels.
- adds height to shorter women
- added self confidence
- better posture
- leaner legs
- toned calves
- added femininity
- added sex appeal
- a more slender appearance
- foot appears smaller
- They can cause foot pain.
- They increase likelihood of sprains and fractures.
- They make calves look more rigid and sinewy.
- They can create foot deformities, including hammertoes and bunions.
- They can cause an unsteady gait.
- They can shorten the wearer's stride.
- They can render the wearer unable to run in case of an emergency.
- Altered forces at the knee caused by walking in high heels may predispose to degenerative changes in the knee joint.
- Foot and tendon problems
- Women who wear high heels frequently have a higher incidence of degenerative joint disease of the knees.
But I must ask what price are you willing to pay to be fabulous?